Eco-friendly business initiatives are no longer just ‘the nice thing to do’ – they are the expectation. As consumers become more environmentally conscious and sustainability standards increase, it’s vital for businesses to embrace sustainability as they look toward the future.
Many companies today are turning to sustainable packaging as a way to do their part in minimizing waste and pollution.
What Is Sustainable Packaging?
Sustainable packaging refers to sourcing, developing, and using packaging solutions with minimal environmental impact and footprint. The Sustainable Packaging Coalition (SPC) lists the following eight criteria for packaging to be considered sustainable:
- Is beneficial, safe, and healthy for individuals and communities throughout its lifecycle.
- Meets market criteria for performance and cost.
- Is sourced, manufactured, transported, and recycled using renewable energy.
- Optimizes the use of renewable or recycled source materials.
- Is manufactured using clean production technologies and best practices.
- Is made from materials healthy throughout the life cycle.
- Is physically designed to optimize materials and energy.
- Is effectively recovered and utilized in biological and/or industrial closed-loop cycles.
Can Sustainable Packaging Help Grow Sales?
Sustainable packaging can, in fact, make your products more appealing to consumers.
A Mordor Intelligence market report on the green packaging industry found increasing public awareness about environmental concerns has led to higher demand for sustainable packaging and processing operations.
In turn, the higher demand has led to advancements and more cost-effective options in sustainable packaging. Packaging manufacturers, such as New-Tech Packaging, can offer thinner and lighter packaging, a variety of recyclable packaging options, and customized options to fit your product needs.
Bottom line: there are more options than ever before in eco-friendly packaging, and consumers are factoring in sustainability when choosing which brands to purchase from and remain loyal to.
Advantages of Sustainable Packaging
Sustainable packaging is a win-win for all as it allows both consumers and businesses to do their part in helping protect the environment. Other advantages include:
- Reduce Wasted Packaging. Minimize the amount of packaging materials and shipping boxes used with frustration-free packaging.
- Save Space. Less packaging material means less storage space needed.
- Reduce Costs. A sustainable package can save costs due to less packaging, minimal waste, and reduced printing costs. Start with a professional packaging audit to see opportunities to increase revenue while decreasing costs.
- Tax Breaks. Tax incentives often exist for businesses that invest in initiatives that reduce their carbon footprint.
- Positive Brand Image. People identify with brands that reflect their values. Sustainable packaging also shows you’re a forward-thinking company looking to bring positive change to the world.
Sustainable Packaging Examples
At New-Tech Packaging, we offer a variety of sustainable packaging solutions that can be customized to fit your product needs. These include:
- EverTec™ Sustainable Mailers – all-paper, protective mailer that is 100% curbside recyclable
- Engineered Foam Packaging – made of 70% post-industrial resin
- Corrugated Boxes – made of 17% recycled content
- Reusable Packaging – decrease waste with returnable totes and suitcases customized to perfectly fit your product
- Paper Cushioning – made of 100% recycled materials and is 100% recyclable and biodegradable
- Air Cushioning Pillows – made of 50% recycled materials and is recyclable
New-Tech’s Focus on Sustainability
At New-Tech Packaging, sustainability and investing in our future are a priority.
Not only do we offer a variety of sustainable packaging options, but we also bundle and donate our corrugate scrap for recycling and use foam recycling equipment in-house to melt and compact PE foam scrap for recycling.
Additionally, our commitment to being environmentally responsible is part of our culture as New-Tech follows these practices to conserve energy:
- Purchase renewable energy from MLGW
- Turn off lights in areas not being used, both in office areas and in the plant
- Utilize motion detection so that lights automatically shut off
- Participate in MLGW’s program to conserve energy on peak days
- Reduce packaging sizes and cut costs with our customers
- Utilize full trucks when making deliveries, except for emergencies
Get Started with New-Tech Packaging Today
With New-Tech Packaging, you get much more than a packaging provider. We are expert packaging consultants, designers, and manufacturers. We take the time to analyze the details of your products to uncover the best packaging option to meet your business goals. Get a quote started today.